5 Steps to Forgiveness and Joy
Forgiveness: What is Affecting Your Life and Health?
Identify a situation, action, or person you feel needs to be forgiven, an experience from the past, which comes to your mind often. Recall your feelings, thoughts, and emotions on the subject.
Overcome Negatives From The Past
Having identified and thought about a person, action or situation, you are now ready to begin the steps of forgiveness. It is important to note you don’t have to agree with the actions of the other person or the event in order to forgive. You are forgiving for your own sake, not someone else’s. Until you forgive the past, this other person or event is controlling your life. This is true, even if the other person is no longer alive.
5 Steps Carried Out With Feeling and Emotion
1) Forgive yourself. You must forgive yourself for allowing the event to affect your health.
2) Forgive the other person. Forgive the other person for any harm he or she may have caused you.
3) Give the other person permission to forgive you. Maybe you did something you weren’t aware you did. It is not recommended that the other person knows you are taking this step. You are doing this for you!
4) See the good in the situation. Learn the lesson the situation taught you.
5) Be thankful! Be thankful for the experience and the lesson it taught you and wish everyone well.
This is from the 2007 Morter Health System and I use this in my coaching practice and for myself.
I hope you get as much out of this exercise as I do, each time I practice it. Please let me know.