One of my students wasn’t feeling her usual vibrant self, last night, and went home early. It made me think about this time of year, with all the stress and sugar abounding. It has been so cold when I walk the dogs in the morning, 34 and 36 degrees, the last two days. The ice patterns were amazingly diverse on the cars. Anyhow, I digress. What I really want to do is share these suggestions.
Here are some tips which have been used to help people either ward off the flu or lessen its effects:
1. Vitamin D3; taking 5000 IU’s daily at the onset of symptoms can be very helpful in enhancing your body’s defense system. This must be an organic D3, not synthetic. All your vitamins should be food based and organic. Synthetic vitamins are not as recognizable to your body and can actually cause allergic reactions and toxicity. Sunshine is a great source of D3 - in fact, it even helps your body utilize D3.
2. Garlic and ginger are both great natural antibiotic and antiviral substances, You can get garlic in capsules or for the brave you can eat 2-3 cloves. Organic ginger sliced and added to pepperment tea will help your liver detoxify and warm your body.
3. Sea salt dissolved in warm water is a great help. You can dip your fingers in it and then breathe in the solution through your nose; this will kill bugs on contact. Gargling it is very helpful for sore throats and helps kill ingested pathogens.
4. Sugar, white flour and caffeine should all be avoided as these substances feed the little buggers and allow them to thrive.
5. Wash your hands and face regularly.
6. Get plently of sleep or rest.
7. Vitamin B1 (300-500 mg) can help your brain relax.
8. CalMag (calcium and magnesium) taken right before you lay down helps your muscles relax.
9. Zinc drops or tablets may be helpful.
10. Here is my chiropractor’s favorite grandma recipe for stomping out the cold monsters:
1/2 an organic grapefruit boiled in 8oz water
add 1 tbs honey
add 1 oz brandy
Smash the grapefruit with a potato masher, and drink.
Next, heat a towel in the oven, rub Vicks’ VapoRub on your chest, wrap the warm towel around your neck and go to bed. I’m not sure if it was the brandy, but I always slept like a baby and woke up feeling much better!
9. Last, but certainly not least: Cellercise! Cellerciser is so helpful in freeing up your body’s natural healing ability. Your brain controls every cell, organ and tissue in your body - that includes your immune system. Regular Cellercising can keep your body healthy and keep your immune system sharp and powerful.